Chefs at Home: Harissa Shrimp Toast with Grilled Corn and Ramp Salad
Mix up your next backyard (socially distanced) gathering, with something sophisticated and unexpected. Don’t be afraid to fry at home! It’s easier than you think, and doesn’t require special equipment.
BY CHEF TONY MESSINA, FORMERLY OF UNI IN BOSTON
RECIPES AND PHOTOS BY CHEF TONY MESSINA, FORMERLY OF UNI IN BOSTON
ON INSTAGRAM, FOLLOW CHEF TONY AND UNI.
For the Shrimp Toast
- ½ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined (CleanFish Organic Shrimp are sold this way already)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ramp bottoms, sliced (you can substitute scallions)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and grated
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 slices white bread, crusts removed and cut into desired shape
- 1 quart canola or avocado oil, for frying
For the Salad
- ¼ pound CleanFish Organic Shrimp, grilled and chopped
- 2 ears corn, grilled and kernels removed from cob
- ¼ pound ramp greens, grilled and chopped (you can substitute scallions)
- ¼ ” thick slice watermelon, grilled and diced small
- 10 mint leaves, chopped
- Juice and zest of 4 limes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Place all ingredients, except the bread and cooking oil, into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped and homogenous.
Spread mixture onto cut white bread shapes.
Heat oil in a cast iron pan with high sides, or a Dutch oven, to 325-340°F.
Place the shrimp toasts into the hot oil, shrimp side down, for about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cook for another minute for the bread side to crisp.
Remove from oil and place on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
Season with salt to taste.
Place the shrimp, grilled corn, ramp, watermelon, mint, and lime zest in a bowl. Mix together. Dress with olive oil and lime juice. Season with salt.
Serve the salad on top of or alongside the shrimp toasts.